Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In Her Own Words...



Mary Margaret at the loom

her beautiful summer blanket/winter sheet

finishing up the indigo dyeing for an upcoming project




It does not seem like I have been in Vermont for nearly two weeks!  I am enjoying every minute I spend in the studio. I am currently weaving a summer blanket/winter sheet.  Because it is so much wider than the dishtowels I have previously done, it has been a bit challenging, but I really like the way it is coming along.

Yesterday we started dyeing the wool for my next blanket. I am so excited to learn about natural dyes!  I love the indigo vat and I can't wait to see how the pomegranate turns out.

After each day in the studio I get to come home and look through the books Kate has lent me from her library. I have never seen such an extensive collection of books dedicated to historical textiles!  Right now I am working on one book all about coverlets woven in Tennessee and another about textiles and equipment used in early Canadian settlements.

There is such a vast wealth of knowledge at the Marshfield School of Weaving. I hope to soak up as much as I possible can during my time here!

No comments:

Post a Comment