Friday, July 8, 2011

Shibori Es Zuma!

ancient japanese shibori on hemp

contemporary shibori on silk


I'm getting things ready for the shibori segment of the Indigo Dye Intensive to be held at the end of the month. Last summer I tie-dyed some simple things, 60's hippie style, in the indigo vat, and they're pretty cool. But I got curious and inspired to investigate further, so now I find myself stitching up sample pieces of the six kinds, an of traditional japanese patterns we'll be trying at the indigo weekend.

We'll be setting up and working with many different kinds of indigo vats, doing resist paste block printing and discharge printing on cloth, and putting together several classic examples of non-tool-intensive shibori tie and stitch resists.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment