Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mary Margaret and the Checked her own words

beaming on!

making a few adjustments

extended birdseye patterm

another view of the plaid

Today is the end of my sixth week at the studio.  During this time I have completed a summer blanket/winter sheet and a set of linen napkins.  I have also dyed the wool for my current blanket. The summer blanket/winter sheet had a cotton warp and a wool weft.  What I learned most from this blanket was how to (and how not to) throw a shuttle.  Because the blanket was wide and the warp was fine, I broke a lot of threads.  But I am also getting better at darning!

The linen in my napkins was even more fine than the cotton in my first blanket.  The warp was white and the weft was natural.  This provided a challenge in threading the warp through the heddles.  Each napkin had a different pattern.  I had so much fun choosing and experimenting with these patterns.  This project taught me a lot about the structure of twill fabric. I cannot wait to finish and wash all of my napkins!

Now, I am enjoying working on my wool blanket.  The indigo and pomegranate dyed yarns came out even better than I had hoped.  I love the horizontal and vertical stripes in this blanket.  This may be my favorite piece so far!

I will be keeping you up to date on my projects and all that I am learning, but now I'd like to get back to my blanket!

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with all of your weaving projects. What a blessing to be able to work along Kate and all the other weavers there at the studio! I can't wait to see this blanket when it is finished!